Cornish Pilot Gigs, Newquay, 1950s
About this item
Newquay Gig Rowing Club's Cornish Pilot Gigs 'Bonnet' and 'Golden Eagle' on the quay at Newquay. 'Bonnet' was built by the Peters family of St Mawes around 1830 and was purchased from the Island of Tresco. 'Golden Eagle' was also built by the Peters family in 1870 and was purchased from the Island of Bryher. During the 1950s and early 1960s many of the Scillonian boats were purchased by Newquay, eventually returning to the Islands. Pictured l-r Sammy Malone, AJ Clemens, Dick Gillis and Bob Davey.
Citation“Cornish Pilot Gigs, Newquay, 1950s,” cornishmemory.com, accessed February 21, 2024, https://www.cornishmemory.com/item/BAW_1_014.
This site is run by Azook CIC, a not-for-profit organisation. Please help us to expand and develop cornishmemory.com.
Metadata for this item is available in the following formats: