Offloading Cornish Pilot Gig 'Slippen', Newquay, 1950s
About this item
Newquay Rowing Club's Cornish Pilot Gig 'Slippen' being unloaded at Newquay. Built in 1830 for St Martins on the Isles of Scilly and originally known as 'Bernice', the name being changed when she was sold to St Agnes. In 1907 she was used in the rescue of the American schooner, Thomas W. Lawson and in 1925 she was involved in the rescue of 26 people from the wreck of 'Cite de Verdun'. During the 1950s and early 1960s many of the Scillonian boats were purchased by Newquay, eventually returning to the Islands.
Citation“Offloading Cornish Pilot Gig 'Slippen', Newquay, 1950s,” cornishmemory.com, accessed February 21, 2024, https://www.cornishmemory.com/item/BAW_1_017.
This site is run by Azook CIC, a not-for-profit organisation. Please help us to expand and develop cornishmemory.com.
Metadata for this item is available in the following formats: