Cornish Pilot Gigs, Sennen Cove, 1983
About this item
Cornish Pilot Gigs 'Golden Eagle', 'Slippen' and 'Sussex' on the beach at Sennen Cove. The crew of 'Sussex' were about to take part in a sponsored row to the Isles of Scilly. 'Slippen' was built in 1830 for St Martins on the Isles of Scilly and originally known as 'Bernice', the name being changed when she was sold to St Agnes. In 1907 she was used in the rescue of the American schooner, Thomas W Lawson and in 1925 she was involved in the rescue of 26 people from the wreck of 'Cite de Verdun'. 'Golden Eagle' was built in 1870 by the Peters family of St Mawes and was purchased by islanders on Bryher.
Citation“Cornish Pilot Gigs, Sennen Cove, 1983
,” cornishmemory.com, accessed June 8, 2023, https://www.cornishmemory.com/item/BAW_1_053.
This site is run by Azook CIC, a not-for-profit organisation. Please help us to expand and develop cornishmemory.com.
Metadata for this item is available in the following formats:
atom | dcmes-xml | json | omeka-xml